I had an idea for a hat, sometime in December, but every time I picked up the needles to try it out it came out wrong. I then realized that this issue was that I was using the completely wrong stitch pattern. Once I worked that out, it was a fairly rapid knit. I finished the entire hat in one Monday evening, and I’m happy with the results. The hat is called Case of the Mondays because I like Office Space, because it was knit on a Monday, and most importantly because the whole time I’d been knitting the wrong hat.
Disclaimer: There was no hypnosis used in the creation of this hat.
Case of the Mondays
- Yarn: 1 skein of Malabrigo Yarn Chunky, 104 yards (95 m). This pattern uses exactly one skein, down to the last inches. To compensate there are two versions. Colorway shown is Buscando Azul.
- Needles: US 10 – 6.0 mm and US 11 – 8.0 mm, 40″ or longer for magic loop, or use your preferred circular knitting method.
- Size: 18″ (46 cm) at the brim, 9″ (23 cm) tall.
- Gauge: 12 stitches and 16 rows = 4″ (10cm) in stockinette.
- Notions: Tapestry needle, stitch marker to denote beginning of round.
This hat is worked in the round and has a slight slouch caused by knitting the main body on larger needle in addition to stitches added in an increase row after the brim. It is knit in waffle stitch. Instructions for the larger version are given in parentheses.
*K1, P1* around.
Rounds 1 & 2: Knit around.
Rounds 3&4: *K2, P2* around.
With, smaller needle CO 56 stitches. Join to knit in the round, being careful not to twist.
For brim, knit in 1×1 Ribbing for 1.5″
Change to larger needles.
Increase Row: *K4, M1, K3, M1* around to 72 sts.
Knit hat in waffle pattern, repeating 7 (8) times total, 28 (32) rows.
Row 1: Remove marker, k1, replace marker, this is the new beginning of round, *SSK, K2tog* around, 36 sts.
Row 2: Knit around.
Row 2: *K2tog* around, 18 sts.
Row 3: *K2tog* around, 9 sts.
Break yarn, pull through remaining stitches, and weave in ends. Block as desired.
The lovely photographs were taken by Abbie, a.k.a. The Green Wife, and the blue hat model is Soose.