After taking a fairly good break from Christmas knitting, I picked it back up at the end of October. I actually was working on it so diligently, that I likely would have finished it before December if I hadn’t kept adding more projects to my list.
First up are a couple of hats that I knit for my husband’s grandparents. I let my daughter pick the yarn in both cases. The first hat is Rose Beck‘s Looking Glass Hat. I knit mine out of Malabrigo Worsted in Orchid 034 on US 6/4mm and US 7/4.5mm. The second is Marsan Watchcap by Staceyjoy Elkin. I knit mine in Stitch Nation by Debbie Stoller Bamboo Ewe in Geranium on US 7/4.5mm.
Continuing the Malarigo love, I next knit my seventh (?) pair of Leslie Friend‘s toasty. The project was called Apricot Toast, a nod to the yarn colorway, and was knit for Bettye’s Christmas present; she fell in love with the color when we were shopping for yarn for her Melody shawls. They were knit on US7/4.5mm. I’d like to note that I find the intended 11″ length for the pattern a little long, so I usually chop off 1.5”, making it a total of 9.5”, and placing the thumb at 6.5″.
The next thing I knit was the already shared Cabled iPad Sleeve, but I mention it here because I’d like to note that I’m still planning on doing a giveaway for a sleeve. I used the yarn I had set aside for it for a last-minute gift, so I haven’t knit it yet, but I now have something special planned for it, so please do check back in February for details.
Somewhere during this time, Bettye requested another baby hat. I decided to tackle Knotty Baby Hat again. I called the project Knottier and used my gauge and math (see your math teacher was right, it does have practical applications) to tinker with the patterns so that they would fit for the specific sizes I needed. The first was a 6-12M size in Knit Picks Felici in Rainbow (a discontinued colorway). I was aiming for a 14”-16” head, 13.5” unstretched on 2.25 mm at 8spi, so I cast on 108 and knit 5.5” before starting the points. The second hat was intended to match Sofia’s handspun mittens. I adjusted it for a toddler size in Felici Sport in Sorcery for an 18-20” head, 17” unstretched on 3.25 mm at 6spi, so I cast on of 104, for a length of 6.5” before the points.
My complaint the first time I knit the hat was that the shift in the pattern to knit the points moved the “seam” line from the side to front and center; basically, the mild ladder that comes from even fairly tight circular knitting is now on display. This is easily fixable. Instead of following the pattern directions, halve the amount of the knit stitches (30 to 15, for example), and then put all the other bits on stitch markers as directed, and then you have another 15 live stitches which are the other half of the point. Your seam stays in the same place, and when you knit across the back set of the stitches (now it’s own round), each point has the same number of rows.
Next time: Knitting for my sister.